Preparing for Turf Grass Sod Installation
Call us at 281-431-7441 to talk about grass sod installation. Preparation of the project area is the key to a successful lawn sod installation. Houston Grass South can do the whole job for you from preparing the site to installing the sod, or you can do portions of the job or the entire job yourself.
Any old grass must be removed from the project area before installing the new turf. One way to do this and save labor and time is to use a sod cutter. You can rent one yourself or our installation crew can do the sod removal for you.
Once you have the old grass removed it’s still a good idea to treat the entire project area with Roundup or a similar product to ensure that weeds don’t emerge at the seams between the sections of your new turf grass lawn. You’ll also want to till the soil to a depth of at least four inches and work organic matter into the soil when you do. After you’ve tilled the soil, you’ll rake out any debris or clods of dirt and you’ll fill any depressions to ensure that your project area drains well.
Turf Grass Sod Delivery
If you have questions about ordering and installing sod, please call our office at 281-431-7441.
We deliver grass with our truck and “piggyback” forklift. The delivery charge is per trip and is based on the mileage to the site from our office on Highway 6 and the number of pallets ordered. We will service any site in the Greater Houston Area, but we do have pallet minimums set for each area.
Our delivery services can become weather and site dependent. When we deliver your turf grass, our forklifts must operate on firm ground to safely unload your grass. We discourage our drivers from driving their forklifts on loose dirt, mud, or anything that might cause them to get stuck. We also warn that our forklifts often leave marks on driveways, and may cause damage to grass if we drive on it.
Turf Grass Sod Installation
If you want to make sure that your investment in quality turf grass sod results in a long-lasting, beautiful lawn, we can help you with grass sod installation! Our experienced installation crew can install your new turf grass sod at a reasonable price at a time that is convenient for you. Just call 281-431-7441 and tell us how many square feet you want to cover or send us a quote request and we can give you an accurate estimate over the phone. If additional work such as dirt work or old grass needs to be cleared from the site, we will send someone out to look at the your project area to give you an estimate based on your particular circumstances.
The cost of grass sod installation depends on several factors that include but are not limited to:
- The amount of preparation work needed. The site must be cleared and properly graded. If it is not, we will send someone out to look at the site to give an accurate estimate of what it will take to address those items.
- Whether or not the area is accessible by forklift. If it is a backyard that is fenced in or other area that the forklift cannot access (the forklift needs approximately nine feet of horizontal clearance and 10 feet of vertical clearance), then the grass must be moved by wheelbarrow to the site. This increases the time and amount of work involved dramatically so we normally charge an additional $10.00 per pallet of grass that has to be moved by wheelbarrow as opposed to grass that can be placed on the site by the forklift.
- The distance the crew has to travel to get to the job site and the number of pallets to be installed.
If you have any question about the ordering or installing turf grass, please call us at 281-431-7441. We’ll ask you for the information we need to make your next turf grass project a huge success!
More Information about Grass Sod Installation:
- Caring for Sod after Installation
- How to Remove Grass Sod
- Will Grass Sod Grow in Shade
- Answers about How to Lay Sod
- Do I Need a Sod Roller to Lay Sod
- Laying Sod after Tree Removal
- Can I Lay Sod Over Existing Grass
- Roll Out Sod Grass in Houston
- How to Use a Sod Cutter
- How to Cut Sod Pieces
- How to Check Irrigation Systems